NARRAGANSETT – The Metcalf Institute for Marine and Environmental Reporting has announced the winners of 2008 fellowships for the Annual Workshop for Journalists, slated for June 8 to 15 at the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography.
The 2008 Metcalf Fellows are:
• Michael P. Burnham, senior reporter for the online news service Greenwire, Washington, D.C.
• Michael Cohea, staff multimedia photojournalist for the Community Newspaper Company, Raynham, Mass.
• Kelly Cuculiansky, staff writer for the Daytona Beach News-Journal, New Smyrna Beach, Fla.
• Diego Cupolo, staff writer for the Star-Ledger, Newark, N.J.
• Christine Cyr, senior associate editor at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, New York City.
• Ian Fein, environmental reporter for the West Marin Citizen, Point Reyes Station, Calif.
• Liam Moriarty, environmental reporter for the NPR-member station KPLU, Seattle.
• Myron B. Pitts, metro columnist for the Fayetteville Observer, Fayetteville, N.C.
• Jacob Resneck, a freelance broadcast and print reporter with Mountain Communications Radio, Saranac Lake, N.Y.
• Rick Smith, a freelance documentary filmmaker and cinematographer from Bozeman, Mont.
The reporters will attend Metcalf’s week-long marine and environmental science immersion program at URI, “Coastal Impacts: Marine and Environmental Science for Journalists.” They will learn about the basic science underlying environmental news to help them improve the accuracy and clarity of science-based news reporting, the nonprofit said.
The workshop includes research in the field and lab with scientists and graduates students, and a public lecture and debate series focusing on offshore aquaculture, shrinking freshwater resources, climate change and policy.
The Metcalf Institute for Marine and Environmental Reporting is a nonprofit organization, housed at the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography, that promotes clear and accurate reporting of scientific news and environmental issues. Journalists from across the nation compete each year for fellowships to attend the annual workshop. For more information, go to www.metcalfinstitute.org.
the Metcalf Institute for Marine and Environmental Reporting ,
Annual Workshop for Journalists at University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography,
2008 Metcalf Fellows,
Marine Industry ,
News Briefs ,