PROVIDENCE – The Rhode Island Business Plan Competition has chosen six finalists for its 2013 competition, the organization announced.
The six finalists, who will compete for prizes valued at more than $200,000, were chosen last week from 77 emerging and would-be entrepreneurs throughout the Ocean State. The overall winner will be awarded $45,000 in cash plus more than $20,000 in professional services.
To win prizes, applicants must agree to establish or continue operations of their business in Rhode Island.
Finalists for the “Entrepreneur Track” include:
• EndoSphere Surgical Inc. – Developing a method to reposition laparoscopic surgical tools to replicate open surgery, providing surgeons with full control, making laparoscopic procedures easier, faster and safer to perform.
• Haverhill Inc. – Designing fashion-forward fine jewelry for women that is price accessible and easily wearable.
• TennisHub – Looks to connect tennis players to opportunities to play tennis and process online bookings and payments.
Finalists for the “Student Track” include:
• Azavy – An online store for 3D printed goods that crowd-sources manufacturing, enabling consumers to buy products designed and 3D-printed by users.
• Fashion-Force – An online business-to-business social community and trade show alternative to cost effectively and efficiently connect and grow a fashion-based business.
• Optitrum – A handheld, noninvasive glucose meter to manage diabetes that utilizes a small saliva sample to determine glucose concentrations in the body almost instantaneously.
Competition winners will be announced on May 14 at The Garage, a half-day event at the R.I. Convention Center. •