Citizens sees growth in student loans

By Rhonda J. Miller
PBN Staff Writer

The high cost of college has many young graduates reeling under the burden of student loan debt in a sluggish economy that no longer promises a job as a result of a college degree. More

To continue reading this article, please do one of the following.



FINANCIAL SERVICES

Citizens sees growth in student loans

By Rhonda J. Miller
PBN Staff Writer

Posted 7/28/14

The high cost of college has many young graduates reeling under the burden of student loan debt in a sluggish economy that no longer promises a job as a result of a college degree.

Even so, the traditional American pathway to success – a college education – continues to spawn substantial borrowing for student loans, and some banks see the relatively small market for private student loans as an important segment of lending.

Most notably in Rhode Island, one of those banks is Citizens Financial Group Inc., parent of Citizens Bank, which bought a $59 million portfolio of private student loans from Boston-based First Marblehead Corp. in two transactions this year.

The first sale of $39.8 million closed March 28. The second sale of $19.2 million closed at the end of June. The sale was through First Marblehead’s subsidiary Union Federal Savings Bank, which is based in North Providence.

“We jumped at the chance to work with Union Federal and First Marblehead on this,” said Brendan Coughlin, president of auto and education finance for Citizens Financial Group, who is based in Dedham, Mass.

“We’re very bullish in this marketplace, and we have an appetite to grow in this space,” said Coughlin. “Citizens got into the private student loan space, which is a consumer loan, in 2009.

“It’s a bit of a contradiction because the secondary markets evaporated, but consumers still needed to go to school and some returned to school because they didn’t have a job,” said Coughlin. “We saw a void in the marketplace.”

Still, he said, “it’s a very complicated industry. About 95 percent of student loans are from the government. The remaining 5 percent is from the private student loan space. It’s a small industry, but a very important one to our customers.”

Banks long have been offering student loans, said Charles Kelley, executive director of R.I. Student Loan Authority, a nonprofit, quasi-public agency.

“Banks have always seen student loans as a way of developing relationships with students and families for other products,” said Kelley, who has been with RISLA for 22 years.

Next Page
Calendar
PBN Hosted
Events

Join PBN for the best networking event and party of the winter - January 15, 2015 - the Book of Lists Party at the Providence Public Library. Reserve your spot by December 31st and get a holiday gift from PBN!
  • Best Places to Work
    Enrollment is now open for the 7th annual Best Places to Work program. Winners w ...
  • Manufacturing Awards
    Applications are now being accepted for the 2nd Annual Manufacturing Awards. Dea ...
Advertisement
Purchase Data
Book of Lists
Lists
Book of Lists cover
PBN's annual Book of Lists has been an essential resource for the local business community for almost 30 years. The Book of Lists features a wealth of company rankings from a variety of fields and industries, including banking, health care, real estate, law, hospitality, education, not-for-profits, technology and many more.
Data icons
Data can be purchased as single lists, in either Excel or PDF format; the entire database of the published book, in Excel format; or a printed copy of the Book of Lists.
  • Purchase an e-File of a single list
  •  
  • Purchase an e-File of the entire Book of Lists database
  •  
  • Purchase a printed copy of the Book of Lists
  •  
    National
    Local
    Latest News
    Advertisement