Updated February 28 at 8:42pm

East Providence co. fined for 2013 explosion

PROVIDENCE – Federal safety officials have fined a Rhode Island wood-pellet company $43,000 for alleged violations related to a 2013 explosion and fire, The Associated Press reported last week. More

To continue reading this article, please do one of the following.



Sign up to receive Providence Business News' newsletters
and breaking news alerts.  

government

East Providence co. fined for 2013 explosion

Posted:

PROVIDENCE – Federal safety officials have fined a Rhode Island wood-pellet company $43,000 for alleged violations related to a 2013 explosion and fire, The Associated Press reported last week.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration announced that it has cited Inferno Wood Pellet Inc. for 11 violations of safety rules at its East Providence plant.

“The lack of safeguards allowed the initial fire and explosion to occur and spread in a chain reaction to other equipment and through the plant,” said Patrick Griffin, OSHA’s area director for Rhode Island.

A worker was injured in the explosion and four-alarm fire on Aug. 20, 2013. Authorities later determined the cause to be combustible wood dust, the AP said.

Griffin told the AP proper safeguards could have reduced the risk of the fire.

The company has 15 business days to contest the fine or attempt to negotiate a settlement. •

28~49, 031014 Rhode Island & Massachusetts News Briefs, workforce, public policy, , government, Inferno Wood Pellet Inc., Occupational Safety and Health Administration, , 28~49, issue031014export.pbn

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
Latest News