Hearthside House kicks off an exciting 2013 season with indepth, interactive guided tours of this 1810 mansion given by interpreters in period attire. Learn about the early years of the home built by Stephen Hopkins Smith after winning a lottery and its most recent owners who sold it to the Town of Lincoln in 1996. Touring thehome is like stepping back in time since it is filled with interesting antique furnishings and artifacts that evoke memories of grandma's house. Aromas of freshly baked bread ad an interactive demonstration takes place in the Colonial kitchen. On the third floor, demonstrations on the antique spinning wheel and loom capture the history of the Talbot family whose 300-year old pieces of equipment have recently been recovered and installed in a new exhibit. Youth docents teach kids about the simple toys played with during the 19th century. Tours begin at 1 p.m., with the last tour given at 3 p.m.
Hearthside is listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its significant architecture. After having been a home to 11 different families, the house is now run as a museum by the volunteer organization, Friends of Hearthside. All proceeds help to restore and preserve this magnificent house.
Hearthside is located on Rt. 123, at 677 Great Road, just one mile off the Rt. 146 Breakneck Hill Road exit. For information visit www.hearthsidehouse.org or call 401-726-0597.
$8/adult; $6/seniors; $4/ages 10-17; under 10 free.