PROVIDENCE – Providence Business News has selected the honorees in its annual Chief Financial Officer Awards program, including the winner in the career achievement category, John “Jack” Sutherland III, the senior vice president of finance and CFO of the Care New England Health System.
Sutherland will be honored along with nine others at the fourth CFO Awards event, to be held Thursday, March 27, at the Bello Center on Bryant University Campus, from 5:30 to 8 p.m.
In the nomination form for Sutherland, submitted by Care New England President and CEO Dennis D. Keefe, the graduate of Middlebury College and Roger Williams University School of Law was lauded for his strong financial management of the health care group’s balance sheet, which allowed it to take on the financially troubled Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island in a merger that was completed in September 2013.
Keefe also attributed Care New England’s positive operating margins over the past seven years in large measure to Sutherland’s work, which despite challenging times has allowed the group to continue to make investments in information technology and advanced surgery equipment as well as create financial leeway for future capital investments.
Other CFO winners include:
- Public company: Joseph Hernon, Towerstream Corp.
- Large private company (more than 150 employees): Gregory Vickowski, The Procaccianti Group/TPG Companies
- Mid-size private company (75-150 employees): Lisa Salerno, XRA Medical Imaging
- Small private company (less than 75 employees): Mary Cooper, ChartWise Medical Systems Inc.
- Nonprofit social service agency: Richard Voccio, United Way of Rhode Island
- Nonprofit (health care, higher education, other): Denise Patnode, The Providence Center
- Government: Joanna L’Heureux, city of Pawtucket
- Quasi-government agency: Kevin M. Barry, Quonset Development Corporation
- Rising Star: Britte Jessen-Balint, Envision Technology Advisors LLC
To register for the awards dinner, visit www.PBN.com.
The presenting sponsor of the CFO Awards is KPMG; partner sponsors include Bryant University’s Graduate School of Business and Executive Development Center, Cox Business, Gencorp Insurance, and media sponsor AM 790.