PROVIDENCE – The Rhode Island Foundation awarded $16 million in grants to fund dozens of projects throughout the state in the first half of 2013.
According to a statement, of the $16.3 million, $6.185 million was awarded in discretionary grants made by the foundation’s staff and directors, including:
• Support for the second round of Rhode Island Innovation Fellowships.
• $187,900 to provide emergency human service assistance to those Rhode Islanders most in need.
• The Newport County Fund granted $187,363 to organizations serving Newport County.
• $75,000 to launch the “Clean Competition” initiative targeting high school athletes and their coaches and parents.
• The Equity Action Fund granted $47,013 to support LGBTQ organizations.
Under the foundation’s competitive-strategy grant program, $2.71 million was awarded to 44 Rhode Island nonprofits. Through these grants, the foundation invests in organizations and programs that strive for “long-term solutions to significant community issues,” the foundation said.
The strategy grants fall into six sectors: arts and culture, community development, education, environment, health and human services. Additionally, the foundation supports signature initiatives in two areas it believes are “critical to the state’s economic well-being” – public education and primary health care.
Organizations receiving strategy grants included City Year, Riverwood Mental Health Service and the University of Rhode Island Coastal Resources Center. •
Estate and Corporate Income Taxes are changing next year, and business owners and executives should know the details. The PBN Summit on November 6th will provide those details and more - including how much Obamacare's Employer Mandate could cost.
PBN's annual Book of Lists has been an essential resource for the local business community for almost 30 years. The Book of Lists features a wealth of company rankings from a variety of fields and industries, including banking, health care, real estate, law, hospitality, education, not-for-profits, technology and many more.