PROVIDENCE – School-zone speed-zone cameras are scheduled to begin activation starting Sept. 4, the Providence Police Department announced Wednesday.
The speed camera program, which launched in January, will be active at 15 locations and will be operational on all school days from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For the first 30 school days of operation, vehicles that operate 11 miles per hour over the speed limit will be issued a warning. Fines will begin being issued on Oct. 23.
The first and each subsequent fine will be $50 each. The cameras, called portable camera units, automatically determine if a vehicle is at fault of speeding, and the violation will be reviewed by Providence Police Officers and Conduent, an outside vendor that manages and maintains the cameras.
The PPD said that areas that will have the PCUs will have increased signage warning drivers of the cameras’ use.
Five of the school-zone speed cameras had been introduced to the city in January 2018, increasing to 10 by March.
The PPD said that the cameras are rotated based on the number of violations issued in a location and placed in areas with problematic traffic and speed concerns.
When the cameras were introduced, thousands of violations were issued in the first month of operation. Many residents resented the fines, and many of them were dismissed due to technical glitches. There was also a now-settled class action lawsuit filed against the city regarding tickets issued to drivers before April 15.
The R.I. General Assembly also reduced the fine per violation from $95 to $50 since the introduction of the school-zone speed camera system.
The following 15 locations will be monitored by PCUs starting Sept. 4:
- 50 Laurel Hill Ave. (Achievement First Mayoral Academy)
- 55 Gordon Ave. – Potters Avenue side (Bailey Elementary)
- 150 Depasquale Ave. (Carl Lauro Elementary)
- Branch Ave. – north side east of Burleigh Street (E-cubed Academy)
- 417 Charles St. (Esek Hopkins Middle School)
- Across from 114 Olney St. (Hope High School)
- 301 Butler Ave. (Lincoln School)
- 320 Public St. (MET School)
- 515 Mount Pleasant Ave. (Mount Pleasant High School)
- 307 Elmgrove Ave. (Nathan Bishop Middle School)
- 773 Chalkstone Ave. (Nathaniel Greene Middle School)
- 1547 Chalkstone Ave. (Pleasant View Elementary School)
- 179 Thurbers Ave. (Roger Williams Middle School)
- 812 Douglas Ave. (Veazie Street School)
- 180 Sterling Ave. (Webster Avenue Elementary)
Chris Bergenheim is the PBN web editor.