78.2 F
Providence, US
Sunday, June 17, 2018

Natural Resources

WAL-MART has been making its stores more energy-efficient to improve its bottom line. Above, a store in Kansas City, Mo., where the cases have LED lighting. /

Businesses seeing value of efficiency

Until recently, energy efficiency was seen by many industry leaders as an expensive proposition that may benefit the environment but might not benefit the...
REGIONS in dark orange rely on surface water, from reservoirs. Yellow regions rely primarily on surface water. Dark green regions rely on ground water from public wells. The remainder of the state, shown in pale green, relies on private wells. Statewide, reservoirs supply 85 percent of residents while wells supply the other 15 percent. /

Coalition urges Assembly<br> to approve water reforms

One in a series of stories about Rhode Island’s potential water crisis. Rhode Island may not have a water shortage yet, but that doesn’t make...

National Grid negotiates pacts with two unions

WESTBOROUGH, Mass. – National Grid has announced a tentative four-year contract with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, which represents 576 of the company’s...

RIAC to get $10M to buy houses near T.F. Green

WASHINGTON – The Federal Aviation Administration has awarded $10 million to the R.I. Airport Corporation to acquire homes near T.F. Green Airport that...
BABY BOY GIRAFFE was welcomed into the world this month at Roger Williams Park Zoo. /

Why the long face?

PROVIDENCE – Roger Williams Park Zoo is asking the public to help name one of its newest arrivals: A baby giraffe born earlier this...
SHOPPERS BROWSE the crafts, antiques, fruit, vegetables and other products of the Providence Open Air Market, which is slated continue Saturdays, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., through October. /

’Tis the season for markets

The Providence Open Market, at Westminster and Union streets, made its first appearance May 12. The outdoor event features local vendors selling furniture,...
MAYOR DAVID N. CICILLINE, right, and other city commuters brave the rain this morning in Providence to participate in Bike to Work Day. The annual RIDOT event promotes bicycling as a healthful means of reducing energy use, pollution and rush-hour traffic.  /

Cicilline hits the road for Bike to Work Day

PROVIDENCE – Mayor David N. Cicilline joined hundreds of other Rhode Island commuters today for Bike to Work Day 2007.Cicilline left his East Side...
 /

Grow Smart R.I. honored by EBC

PROVIDENCE – Grow Smart Rhode Island has been selected to receive a 2007 Environmental Merit Award from the Environmental Business Council of New England.“This...
JONATHAN STEVENS, left, of Preserve Rhode Island, Gov. Donald L. Carcieri and National Geographic's Jonathan Tourtellot sign the Geotourism Charter yesterday as Carcieri aide Sue Stenhouse looks on. /

R.I. is 2nd state to sign Geotourism Charter

PROVIDENCE – Gov. Donald L. Carcieri yesterday signed the National Geographic Society’s Geotourism Charter, making Rhode Island the second state after Arizona to endorse...
'NOISE ISSUES still exist for may home and business owners,' U.S. Sen. Jack Reed said in announcing the money, which will help buy homes affected by noise from T.F. Green. /

RIAC gets $10M for noise abatement at Green

The R.I. Airport Corporation will receive $10 million in Federal Aviation Administration funds to continue its home-acquisition program in Warwick, U.S. Sen. Jack...
- Featured Event -

Latest News

Sign up now for any of our free daily, weekly or industry specific e-newsletters. Enter your email address to get started.

Close

Free Newsletters from PBN.