DOT is looking at Atwells Ave. issues

PROVIDENCE – The R.I. Department of Transportation has agreed to help find a solution to traffic-related dangers to pedestrians on Atwells Avenue.
A DOT representative was slated to attend a Federal Hill Commerce Association meeting last week, according to a news release from Sen. Paul V. Jabour, D-Providence, who has asked the department to intervene. The busy, mixed-use street has seen several pedestrians – including Providence City Councilman Terrence M. Hassett – struck by vehicles in recent months.
Jabour said that the association would be discussing possible short- and long-term solutions for the issue. While Atwells Avenue is a city-owned street, Jabour said that the department’s experience managing major roadways would help it advise Providence on developing a plan for the area.
Some solutions discussed at a meeting Nov. 12 with city officials and the commerce association included improved lighting, traffic lights, stop signs, crosswalks and speed lumps.
“The solution is not going to be as simple as installing a traffic light somewhere,” Jabour said. “This is a complicated roadway where cars and pedestrians are heading in all directions, some destined for the restaurants and shops along Atwells and some heading to the two major highways that are just off it.” &#8226

No posts to display