Salmonella cases continue to rise

PROVIDENCE – The incidence of salmonella-related illnesses continued to climb last week, with totals reaching 56, with 24 lab-confirmed cases of salmonella and 26 hospitalizations, according to the R.I. Dept. of Health.
The outbreak was potentially linked to eating tainted zeppoles from DeFusco’s Bakery, according to health officials.
At least one person – an 80-year-old man – has died from salmonella, but the R.I. Department of Health was awaiting tests to confirm whether or not it could be tied to the zeppoles.
“We expect to have some laboratory results (positive or negative) on some of the food samples by the end of the week [April 1] at the earliest,” said Annemarie Beardsworth, R.I. Department of Health spokeswoman.
According to Beardsworth, health officials expected to see new reports of illnesses. “We really have no way to predict when this outbreak will end or if we are at peak right now,” she said. Right now, she continued, “our focus is on identifying the source of the outbreak and preventing further illness.”

No posts to display