After backups, RIDOT reworks Washington Bridge traffic strategy

PETER ALVITI JR., director of the R.I. Department of Transportation, said that commuters' alternate routes in response to the I-195 Washington Bridge reconstruction work was unexpected and that RIDOT is opening a fourth and fifth lane westbound to alleviate traffic. / PBN FILE PHOTO/MICHAEL SALERNO
PETER ALVITI JR., director of the R.I. Department of Transportation, said that commuters' alternate routes in response to the I-195 Washington Bridge reconstruction work was unexpected and that RIDOT is opening a fourth and fifth lane westbound to alleviate traffic. / PBN FILE PHOTO/MICHAEL SALERNO
PROVIDENCE – The R.I. Department of Transportation announced that it has taken steps to alleviate traffic congestion on Interstate 195 due to work on the Washington Bridge. The project has caused backups since it began earlier in August, the most recent being a major traffic jam heading west on I-195 on Sunday. “The Washington Bridge…

Want More?

Subscribe or register with Providence Business News to keep reading.

REGISTER
for 2 more stories

Subscribe now for $1 for 4 weeks
Already a Subscriber? Login now

Purchase NowWant to share this story? Click Here to purchase a link that allows anyone to read it on any device whether or not they are a subscriber.

- Advertisement -