DOT awards contract for Sakonnet River Bridge

PROVIDENCE – The R.I. Department of Transportation announced last week it has formally awarded a $163.7 million contract to Cardi Corporation for the construction of a new Sakonnet River Bridge.
DOT said in a press release that construction of the bridge, which connects Tiverton and Portsmouth, will begin shortly. A groundbreaking ceremony was scheduled for April 24.
DOT said it anticipates the new bridge will be open to traffic in 2012. The contract includes an early-incentive clause, which could result in the bridge opening one year earlier. The new structure will be built just to the south of the existing 53-year-old span, which will be demolished after the project is completed. &#8226

No posts to display