BOSTON – The Boston Globe’s largest union will vote Monday on a new contract containing $10 million in concessions to owner The New York Times Co., six weeks after members rejected a previous version of the pact and were hit with a 23 percent pay cut.
The Boston Newspaper Guild’s nearly 700 editorial, advertising and business workers are weighing a package that includes a roughly 9 percent cut in pay; health insurance premium increases; the elimination of company contributions to 401(k) plans; and a pension freeze, The Globe reported today.
Seifert Systems Invests in Energy Efficiency to Strengthen Operations
For manufacturers, energy is more than just another operating expense. It plays a critical role…
Learn More
The contract also would withdraw the lifetime job guarantees given in the 1990s to about 170 longtime Globe employees. With management and labor continuing to debate the merits of the proposal, Daniel Totten, president of the Guild, told the newspaper it was “hard to guage” what the outcome of the vote would be.
Totten, who voted against the contract in June, said he endorsed the one being considered Monday.
Earlier this year, the Times Co. threatened to close The Globe, saying the paper was on track to lose $85 million by the end of 2009, although independent analysts suggested that figure was probably high. Since then, every Globe union except the Guild has approved concessions on pay and benefits.











