‘Big Dig’ contractor files for bankruptcy

BOSTON – Modern Continental Construction Co., the company charged June 20 with lying about its work on Boston’s “Big Dig” tunnel project, filed for bankruptcy, Bloomberg News reported last week.
The closely held company, based in Dedham, Mass., listed assets of $100 million to $500 million and debt of $500 million to $1 billion in its filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Boston.
U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan in Boston said in a statement on June 20 that Modern Continental was charged with “making false statements in connection with its execution of construction documents certifying the quality of the work it performed,” submitting false time and materials slips, and wire fraud.
URS Corp. of Boston was listed as the company’s largest unsecured creditor with a $9.9 million claim. The company’s 20 largest unsecured creditors are owed about $22.7 million, according to court papers. The company said it had fewer than 1,000 creditors.
The company’s directors voted to authorize the bankruptcy filing at a meeting held June 11, court documents showed. &#8226

No posts to display