McKee administration awards $1.4M for 77 new emergency shelter beds

THE ADMINISTRATION of Gov. Daniel J. McKee announced Wednesday it has awarded $1.4 million to fund an additional 77 new emergency beds that will increase the statewide shelter capacity to more than 1,000 beds. / AP FILE PHOTO/STEVEN SENNE

PROVIDENCE – Gov. Daniel J. McKee’s administration on Wednesday awarded $1.4 million to fund 77 new emergency beds to increase the statewide shelter capacity to more than 1,000. 

“While the long-term solution to homelessness is to build more permanent supportive housing units across the state, increasing shelter bed capacity is an immediate necessity for Rhode Island’s current situation,” said R.I. Secretary of Housing Josh Saal. “Our goal is to work with our provider partners to swiftly get these newly funded beds online, while we continue our efforts of meeting individuals and households where they are and investing in programs and initiatives to prevent homelessness, and when not possible, make it rare, brief and nonrecurring.” 

The R.I. Department of Housing is also working to add another 43 beds, beyond the 77 the McKee administration announced Wednesday. 

“Rhode Islanders deserve a safe place to sleep at night and expanding our shelter capacity will help ensure we have the resources to support families and individuals who are experiencing homelessness,” McKee said. “We thank the many shelters, nonprofit organizations and housing advocates across the state for their partnership with our state agencies as we work to ensure increased shelter capacity and longer-term housing solutions.” 

- Advertisement -

Earlier this month, McKee made $166 million available to support affordable housing efforts across the state.  

Purchase NowWant to share this story? Click Here to purchase a link that allows anyone to read it on any device whether or not they are a subscriber.

No posts to display