PROVIDENCE – Tia Bush, vice president of operations at West Greenwich biotech manufacturer Amgen Rhode Island, has been named the winner in the Leadership & Strategy category of Providence Business News’ fifth annual Manufacturing Awards program.
Bush supervises site operations for the biologic-medicine manufacturing company’s 75-acre West Greenwich site as well as for Amgen’s facility in Woburn, Mass. Bush, who leads a team of about 600 people overall, started her career with the company 25 years ago.
During that time, the Rhode Island plant has been recognized as one of Rhode Island’s Best Places to Work nine years in a row since 2009, including during Providence Business News’ Best Places to Work 2017 event. In 2017, the plant achieved a 25 percent productivity gain, delivering 2 metric tons of active pharmaceutical ingredient.
The company is working to expand its use of predictive analytics at the site to support more informed and faster decision-making, to drive improved reliability and efficiency of its equipment and systems.
Bush is among 14 winning individuals and companies selected from dozens of applications and that will be recognized at a dinner to be held Thursday, March 8, from 5:30-8 p.m. at Waterfire Arts Center.
Other winners of the 2018 Manufacturing Awards are:
- Amgen Rhode Island, for Overall Excellence – Enterprise Manufacturer
- AstroNova Inc., for Supply Chain Excellence
- AVTECH Software Inc., for Exporting Excellence
- The Original Bradford Soap Works Inc., for Overall Excellence – Large Manufacturer
- Cooley Group, for Product Innovation and Design
- Epec Engineered Technologies, for Overall Excellence – Mid-size Manufacturer
- Goodwin-Bradley, for Overall Excellence – Small Manufacturer
- igus, for Excellence in Safety Performance & Records
- National Marker Co., for Green Manufacturing
- Sons of Liberty Beer & Spirits Co., for Emerging Manufacturer
- The Town Dock, for Lean Management
- Toray Plastics (America) Inc., for Workforce Development & Productivity
- William M. Davies Jr. Career & Technical High School, for Collaboration in Manufacturing,
Presenting sponsor for the fifth PBN Manufacturing Awards program is Polaris MEP. Partner sponsors include Amgen, Bryant University, Cox Business, Gallo|Thomas Insurance and National Grid. For information about attending the PBN Manufacturing Awards dinner on March 8, click HERE.