R.I. mobile sports betting app currently in third-party testing phase

A MOBILE SPORTS betting app designed for Rhode Island is currently in testing. The state hopes to launch the app before the NFL football season begins on Sept. 5. Above, the sports betting venue at Twin River Casino in Lincoln. / PBN FILE PHOTO/MICHAEL SALERNO
A MOBILE SPORTS betting app designed for Rhode Island is currently in testing. The state hopes to launch the app before the NFL football season begins on Sept. 5. Above, the sports betting venue at Twin River Casino in Lincoln. / PBN FILE PHOTO/MICHAEL SALERNO

PROVIDENCE – The mobile sports wagering app that would be used by bettors in Rhode Island is currently in testing by a third party, according to R.I. Lottery spokesman Paul Grimaldi.

A bill to allow mobile sports betting was passed by the R.I. General Assembly in March. The bill authorizes the creation of an app that would give users the ability to place sports wagers from anywhere in the state after registering at one of the casinos in Rhode Island.

Seifert Systems Invests in Energy Efficiency to Strengthen Operations

For manufacturers, energy is more than just another operating expense. It plays a critical role…

Learn More

Currently, sports wagers can be placed at both Twin River Worldwide Holdings Inc. casinos in Tiverton and Lincoln. Sports betting launched in the state at the end of November 2018. Month-to-month collections from betting have been volatile and seemingly tied to major sports events such as the National Football League’s Super Bowl or the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s yearly championshipt basketball tournament, known as March Madness.

Grimaldi said that “the hope is to have the Mobile Sports Wagering begin on or before the National Football League season begins on Sept. 5, 2019, but that date is subject to change based on testing results.”

- Advertisement -

State officials have marked the start of the NFL season as a launch goal for mobile betting for months. The addition of mobile betting is expected to increase sport-wagering revenue for the state.

A lawsuit challenging the legality of all sports wagering in Rhode Island is currently ongoing in R.I. Superior Court. The lawsuit was filed in May, and it alleges that the state doesn’t have the authority to expand gaming beyond table games at Ocean State casinos without voter approval, including both sports betting onsite and mobile betting of any type.

State officials have previously said they had legal authority to add sports betting, which they did in advance of U.S. Supreme Court action to allow it.

A hearing on a motion to dismiss is scheduled for Sept. 4, according to court records.

Regardless of the legality of the app, the time frame for the launch of mobile betting is still unclear.

“The Mobile Sports Wagering App is being tested by an independent, third-party testing laboratory,” said Grimaldi. “Because the App is in the testing phase, an exact time frame or date by which Mobile Sports Wagering will begin is uncertain.”

Chris Bergenheim is the PBN web editor. You may reach him at Bergenheim@PBN.com.

No posts to display