Providence postpones announcing school closures until Wednesday

PROVIDENCE – The announcement of which four to six Providence schools will be closed has been postponed until Wednesday morning, said Melissa Withers, spokeswoman for Mayor Angel Taveras.

“[The postponement] is only to make sure we have the best plan to accommodate the students and make sure that we meet all of our fiscal obligations; there are still two or three details around a couple of the schools that we’ve been talking about,” Withers told Providence Business News.

Beyond Cash Donations: How New Forms of Giving Are Transforming Not-for-Profit Accounting

Evolving Funding Landscape for Not-for-Profits Not-for-profit organizations are being asked to do more with less,…

Learn More

“We don’t feel like today it would be prudent to finalize that decision without doing a little additional analysis,” she added.

The Providence School Department was scheduled to release on Monday a list of schools it was to close in an effort to save money.

- Advertisement -

Last month, the Providence School Board voted to terminate all of its teachers – effective after the last day of school in June – in a move that it and Mayor Angel Taveras said would allow flexibility in dealing with an impending budget deficit.

Next week, the School Board is slated to start voting on which teachers to hire back; school officials have said the majority of terminations will be rescinded.

No posts to display