R.I. takes action on heat emergency

Reacting to forecasts of extreme heat at midweek, Gov. Donald L. Carcieri Monday said he had instructed the R.I. Emergency Management Agency to have every city and town develop a heat emergency plan, ensuring that at least one air-conditioned facility in each community would remain open to the public well into the evening on Tuesday and Wednesday, when the heat wave was expected to peak.

The governor’s office said the American Red Cross of Rhode Island would be providing volunteers to help staff the shelters, many of which are in local community or senior centers. And RIPTA has agreed to expand its RIDE program, for those two days, to ensure that seniors and people with disabilities can reach the air-conditioned shelters.

Beyond Cash Donations: How New Forms of Giving Are Transforming Not-for-Profit Accounting

Evolving Funding Landscape for Not-for-Profits Not-for-profit organizations are being asked to do more with less,…

Learn More

All state beaches were free on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, by order of the governor, to give the public another way to beat the heat. RIPTA buses also were free, as the heat helped raise ozone to air-quality alert levels.

The news release said utility National Grid, at the governor’s request, has agreed not to shut off any electrical customers on Tuesday or Wednesday.

- Advertisement -

The George Wiley Center previously had submitted a petition asking the R.I. Public Utilities Commission to ban any shutoffs of electrical service on days when the temperature reaches 90 degrees, saying that doing so could lead to heat-related deaths and illnesses among the state’s poor, elderly and disabled.

A news release from center coordinator Henry Shelton described such shutoffs as “cruel and inhumane punishment,” and saying they endanger children who are left without fans and air conditioning. The PUC has yet to consider the advocacy group’s petition; state utility regulations already bar winter shutoffs of utility service to certain low-income households, for health and safety reasons.

The governor’s office said it was receiving regular updates from ISO New England, to ensure the state had an adequate supply of energy. It planned to monitor the situation closely for the duration of the heat wave.

“These next few days are predicted to bring the hottest weather of the summer,’’ Carcieri said. “I urge all Rhode Islanders to take the proper precautions and stay safe.”

He also urged residents to check on neighbors and their pets. The elderly, the very young, and those with kidney and heart disease are especially vulnerable, Carcieri said.

No posts to display