E. Providence officials face critical vote on 300-acre development
Over the next few weeks it will be decision time in East Providence as the
City Council prepares to vote on the future of about 300 acres along seven miles
of waterfront. The entire project, estimated to take 10 years to complete, is
expected to eventually add $1 billion to the city’s tax base.
“It is important the project be taken as a whole,” said Jeanne M. Boyle, East Providence’s planning director about the East Providence Waterfront Special Development District Plan.
Seifert Systems Invests in Energy Efficiency to Strengthen Operations
For manufacturers, energy is more than just another operating expense. It plays a critical role…
Learn More
“Redevelopment shouldn’t take place in isolation,” she said.
The proposal has the potential to create more than 2 million square feet of commercial/office space and 2,500 new residential units. The vision outlined in the draft also includes entertainment (including sports-related), hospitality, marinas, civic buildings and open space and recreational uses.
“It is the city’s intention to foster a rebirth of its waterfront,” the report states.
The proposal, now available for public viewing, is based on the city’s 1992 comprehensive plan, according to Boyle.
“The draft is consistent with the comprehensive plan with just a greater level of detail,” she said.
On Oct. 21, the plan is expected to be discussed in a public workshop. The council will then meet again to take a vote. Boyle believes council members are targeting a November passage. Once the draft is approved, the council will begin debating ordinances regarding zone changes and breaking the property into sub-districts.
So far the city has heard little opposition to the project. Boyle cautioned that could change once the public hearings begin. Currently, about 15 properties may need to be taken through eminent domain.
“They are primarily residential and some are very upset,” she said. “But DOT is still in the conceptual stages.”
Implementation will include a partnership between the city, state, private sector and the General Assembly-created Waterfront Special Development District.
Also, the city recently purchased the former Ocean State Steel site, which requires brownfield remediation. At the same time, the city entered into a ground-lease agreement with the GeoNova Development Corp.
The city will acquire the permits, then sell the land to GeoNova for development.
“That was a big jump for the city to purchase a contaminated property and enter into a development partnership,” said Boyle.
The plan, she believes, will cause a ripple effect throughout the project area.
“It makes it clear that this (special district) is not a planning or academic exercise and shows (the city’s) willingness to take a risk,” said Boyle.
Over the summer, the General Assembly drafted and passed legislation recognizing the waterfront district and creating a 19-member commission to oversee it.
“The municipal level alone wasn’t going to make this happen,” said Boyle. “And last spring we made a presentation to the state and received a warm reception.”
From there the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation and the state Department of Transportation became involved in the projects.
Lori Capaldi, senior project manager for the EDC, echoing Boyle, said the state thought it was a great project.
“For business relocation here, one scarcity is land and available buildings,” said Capaldi.
While the EDC typically helps municipalities, she said, in the last budget EDC Director Michael McMahon added a $500,000 line item to promote community development.
“Having lived through the (Providence) river relocation, I think this is a great project that will benefit the state on the whole,” said Capaldi.
According to the draft, transportation is a “crucial” component for a large portion of the project’s success.
“The current confusing and indirect traffic patterns create numerous negative social and economic impacts,” states the report. The proposal calls for a north/south road along the waterfront as well as enhanced access to Interstate 195, among others. The city’s transportation consultant estimated the necessary road improvements to be about $29.7 million.
“The interchange will be critical to connect the district,” said Capaldi.
The city has a memorandum of agreement with DOT to complete an environmental assessment of the area. Within the next few weeks, Boyle says a consultant will be hired. After sorting the transportation options, the focus will turn to land-use distribution.
The draft outlines potential land uses for each parcel. The current trend shows residential and ancillary services in the southern portions giving way to heavier commercial and hospitality surrounding Interstate 195 that taper out again to residential and light commercial to the north.
The suggested parcels are Kettle Point, Veteran’s Memorial Parkway, Bold Point, Crook Point, Dexter Road, Phillipsdale and Pawtucket Avenue (former Fram property).
The draft goes a step further and makes specific recommendations regarding sidewalks, lighting, historic sites, art and landscaping. Most of the project’s midsection is contingent on DOT improvements.
“I think the plan is good but as we get into more levels of detail more issues will arise,” said Boyle. “This may not work too from a marketing standpoint. Hopefully by the time the infrastructure is in place, the economy will turn around and there will be a demand for office space.”
Scott Wolf, executive director of Grow Smart Rhode Island, wrote a letter of support for the city’s brownfields agreement.
“From what I know this is an excellent urban revitalization initiative,” he
said. “It has great potential.”












